how to disturb newbies

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 14:01:10 EDT 2014

On 26/10/14 19:54, Peter Haworth wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Earthednet-wp <prothero at earthednet.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps, taking it a bit further, users' private notes might contain a
>> button to submit them to the dictionary committee for review and inclusion
>> in the master dictionary.
>
> I'd have to look at the dictionary code but it it might be possible to add
> that feature to lcDictUserNotes.  I guess I'm not clear why that would be
> better than just adding the user note directly though.

Well, one reason might be that there would be a vast list of user-added
notes of varying value one would have
to trawl through to find something that had more universal appeal than
the rest.

Writing user notes is not as easy as it seem if they are to be read by
people other than oneself; and I can envisage
a flood of notes written in a way which might not be understood by other
users.

Therefore there should be somebody who weeds through user-added notes
before they are added to the dictionary.

Another thing that might like to be considered is the problem of people
who don't have their computers constantly
connected to the internet, and it might be worth considering releasing
dictionary upgrades here http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/
as well as IDE ones.

Richmond.