how to disturb newbies

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 22:27:55 EDT 2014

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com
> wrote:

I've found in recent years that Dictionary errors have generally been fixed
> almost instantly once notice is submitted, almost always prior to the next
> release.

Whilst I can't comment on whether the speed at which Dictionary errors are
being fixed is faster now than previously, I can say that for my own
experience they are not being fixed as fast as you suggest.

Based on Richard's recommendation, which I FULLY SUPPORT, I've been posting
Documentation Bugs as I notice them. So far I have 5 in the Bug DB, 4 for
the Dictionary and one for the User Guide:

2014-04-30 #11838 Dictionary - 'address' - comments wrong
2014-05-20 #12450 The UserGuide - 3.1.6 The Development Menu has Incorrect
Menu Items
2014-09-15 #13440 Dictionary entries for Closefield and Delete need
additional notes
2014-09-29 #13547 Dictioanry Error - functionNames
2014-10-01 #13572 shell() result not = to Terminal output - OS X

All 5 entries include a comment from Hanson that they are confirmed,
although their Status remains as NEW.

Disregarding #12450, as it's a User Guide error, the other 4 entries were
all in the DB well before the latest release cycle, and several have been
there for a couple of release cycles.

Apart from #11838, which upon further investigation revealed far greater
ramifications than just the 'address' entry, the other 3 are pretty
straight forward and could have easily been implemented within a cycle.

Again, I FULLY SUPPORT Richard's recommendation that if anyone notices any
errors or even believes there should be better examples, Notes, Tips or
inclusions in the Dictionary and User Guide, then PLEASE submit them to:

http://quality.runrev.com/

Whilst they may not appear in the next cycle, I do appreciate that an
improved Dictionary is being worked on, and like LC itself, that has come
forward leaps and bounds in the last year, I'm sure all the corrections the
Community adds to the Bug DB in relation to the Dictionary will eventually
come back to us in the form of much better documentation.

After entry in the Bug DB, a quick post to this List giving everyone here a
heads up of what you've found would also be much appreciated.