Sort cards doesn't work in 7.0 -- troubleshooting bears fruit

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 25 15:31:11 EDT 2014

Timothy Miller wrote:

 > IIRC, in ancient versions of hyperCard, this kind of sort didn’t
 > work right if the script encountered a card where the field
 > containing the sort key was absent. Apparently this anti-feature
 > has returned to 7.0.
 >
 > If I copy the buttons and paste then onto card 2, where both fields
 > appear, the scripts work normally. So, I guess I’ve got my
 > workaround, and if this is indeed a bug, as I suspect it is, I
 > would appreciate it if someone would report it on my behalf.

I think there may be something else going on than just an empty field.

See my notes from a few minutes ago:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2014-October/207457.html>

Further testing shows the same surprisingly smart behavior even if one
of the fields is empty (it simply sorts that to become the first card,
as we'd expect), so I have to wonder if there's something else going on
with the data.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems