how to disturb newbies

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 25 12:27:06 EDT 2014

Thanks for writing, Bill:

 > If there was a way to include user comments from a link in
 > the dictionary entry, it would be helpful to those who work
 > to improve the dictionary.

Several versions back the team added a Notes facility, found at the
bottom of each Dictionary entry.

While this is useful for sharing supplemental tips, it's still very
helpful to alert the team to any erroneous info by submitting a bug report:
<http://quality.runrev.com/>

 > Or perhaps a direct link to the location where dictionary bugs
 > are reported.

The Dictionary is being overhauled for v8.0, necessary since it will
provide API documentation for Widgets as well, so its contents will vary
according to the components a given user has installed.

I can discuss the option of adding a link to the bug DB there with the
team on behalf of the community, but once we start down that road we
have to ask if there are other places throughout the UI should we
consider doing that.

Perhaps it would be both simpler for the IDE team and for users to find
if there were one consistent place for submitting reports.

Currently there's a menu item in the Help menu named "Support", which
takes the user to a page that includes a link to the bug DB.

If that extra step is a bit much I can discuss with Ben the possibility
of adding a direct link to the bug DB from the Help menu, or any other
location the community feels would be helpful.

For those willing to dive deeper into improving the documentation, the
team has provided a section on the "Contribute to LiveCode" page on the
format of Dictionary entries, which we can modify directly and submit a
pull request for:
<http://livecode.com/community/contribute-to-livecode/#%20Dictionary%20Entry%20Guidelines>

Of course that option may involve more work that some are in a position
to contribute, so a simple bug report is a great option for putting
fixes into the queue.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager