64-bit App Store requirement

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Fri Oct 24 17:36:45 EDT 2014

> On 23 Oct 2014, at 14:45, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
> You may just be ahead of your time.
>
> After all, it seem unlikely Apple will be shipping an iOS device that has more than 4 GB RAM, and even if they did, with PAE it would only be logically "necessary" if they expected individual apps to need more than 4 GB.
>
> True, it's more efficient to use native addressing, and having committed to 64-bit gates it'll certainly help - but only very modestly, unlikely significant enough to end-users to make it a requirement.
>
> So what could be driving this?

I believe this is primarily driven by the desire not to need more RAM in iOS devices. Supporting both 32 & 64-bit apps on the same device means having the system frameworks for both in memory at the same time.

When they can drop 32-bit app support in new devices it'll save on firmware update size and build, release and test work at Apple.

Mark