The Bearer Of Bad News

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 24 15:45:43 EDT 2014

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 > Testing developer releases and release candidates is not high
 > on my priority, but given my recent experience, maybe it should
 > be. :-)

For me it's made the work more fun.

With any final release, at the moment it's done it's effectively dead, a
static thing that no longer undergoes any change.

But the pre-release versions feel more alive.  If I come across
something that isn't quite right I can drop a bug report on it, and most
of the time these days I get a confirmation within hours and a fix
within days.

It also feels more social:  when I get Hanson's confirmation I know I'm
not too crazy now that he can reproduce it, and I often get interesting
insights into the engine from Ali or Mark or others on the team.

I generally ship using final releases, but over the last year I've
started using pre-release versions exclusively for day-to-day work.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems