Extended ASCII Characters Showing Up Where Not Wanted...

JOHN PATTEN johnpatten at me.com
Thu Oct 23 17:50:10 EDT 2014

Hi All…

I have a list of names in a field.

John Doe
Mary Jane
etc. etc.

When I do:

put word one of the selectedText into tFirstname
put word two of the selectedText into tLastname

…and then try using the variables in an INSERT to SQL Lite it fails. It seems the put script above is inserting the extend ascii 168 character “¿” (upside down question mark).

How do I clear those unwanted ascii characters out of my name variables? And why are they in there to begin with? It doesn’t seem like it should be just adding invisible characters to this process. I figured it out by adding the variable to a text editor and showing invisibles. Is this a bug?

Thanks for any advice!

John Patten
SUSD