Programming LiveCode with LiveCode

Jim Lambert jiml at netrin.com
Sun Oct 19 17:48:53 EDT 2014

Larry wrote:
>  it will be easier to deal with those differences by just developing apps that run within a browser. Because don't both Android and iOS both run browsers?

Absolutely.
If your application’s features can be achieved as a web app running in a browser, that will be the most universal approach.
No need for a native application at all.
But if your features are not supported in a browser then you’ve got to go native.
With that comes variation within and across platforms.

It’s my prediction this variation will increase as mobile computing matures.
Apple, Google and even some handset manufacturers (Amazon Fire) are starting to offer a bunch of unique client features, closely coupled with backend solutions, and often only available on a specific platform or device.
Their goal is to create consumer and developer lock in.

Richard wrote:
> CloudKit is indeed nice, but so are the new Google Drive APIs:

Exactly! They are both nice - nice and different. Does the developer use one or both? Depends on your needs. Great to have the choice.
But such solutions are usually not meant to work cooperatively. Quite the opposite, they are meant as competitive differentiators for the companies that offer them.
We developers will need to deal with this increasing differentiation.

That’s why I love LiveCode.
Widgets/Open Language will make LiveCode great for dealing with proprietary features and solutions - at least on the client, if not the backend.

JimL