Can you please enlighten me on the LiveCode versions?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Oct 19 11:55:09 EDT 2014

Earthednet-wp wrote:

 > Well, in my ignorance and newbiness, I decided to try lc7 and
 > haven't experienced ant problems, except for a slowdown changing
 > bytes in a large image, to plot symbols on a map. So, I started
 > using it for developing my project (silly me) and can't easily

It's true that v7 uses a new file format, but they've enhanced the file
format a few times over the years and each time they provide a way to
save in older versions if needed.

With v7 you can use File->Save As to save to the previous three formats
in addition to the v7 format, providing compatibility with all versions
of LiveCode spanning more than a decade.

Of course if your work requires any features specific to v7, like the
new Unicode enhancements, then saving as an older format won't do much
for you.  But if you're just working on code that'll run in any recent
version you should be fine.

It's a good idea to make regular backups of any time-intensive files in
any app, even more so with pre-release apps.  But you've been around the
block enough that I'm sure you do that regularly anyway.

 > My deadline is January, so I thought there would be a release out
 > by then. Anyway, I have found no issues with v7 so far.

Thaf's really good to hear.  If you do run into any issues please report
them ASAP so the team can jump on them before the final release.

 > But, if there isn't a release before my deadline, I will still
 > need to make a standalone for one particular user. That's why I
 > asked. I still haven't tries to make a standalone in LC, so ........

Sounds like you're in good shape.  Their schedule has v7 finalized long
before the end of the year (ideally by early November, unless our
testing shows anything that would hold it back for more work), so the
timeline looks good for what you need and it sounds like the
functionality your app relies on is all in place.

It may be helpful at this time to build a standalone just to test that.
  Sometimes the differences between development and runtime can make
alter some aspects of behavior, usually not significant but better to
find out now while the team can act on it quickly if needed.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems