binaryDecode in LC 7.0(rc2) and EXIFLib

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Thu Oct 16 19:05:16 EDT 2014

To the people using Alex Tweedly's EXIFLib:
For the others, EXIFLib is a very useful library extracting the EXIF data (if any) of .jpg pictures. I'm really indebted to Alex for it and I'm using it for years now. It can be found here:
http://tweedly.org/showpage.lc?page=EXIFLib
This library works fine with the 6.n versions of LiveCode, up to 6.6.4 but with 7.0(RC2) LiveCode quits unexpectedly. I found that the culprits were lines 194-195 of the stack's script:

put "x" & lexifBaseOffset+tOffset-1 & "a" & count into t
put binaryDecode(t, lexifData, tJunk, tValues) into tJ

with my data, t was "x146a11". Something changed in the intepretation of the formatsList between 6 and 7. Luckily, replacing the two lines by:

put lexifBaseOffset+tOffset-1 into ttx
put "a" & ttx+count into t
put binaryDecode(t,lexifData,tValues) into tJ
delete char 1 to ttx of tJ

works perfectly!

But I would be interested to know what exactly changed, and why a list of formats is no more accepted but a simple format is, before posting a bug report...

Jacques