Programming LiveCode with LiveCode

larry at significantplanet.org larry at significantplanet.org
Thu Oct 16 13:41:48 EDT 2014

Hi Jim,
I'm not trying to argue (don't know enough.)  But what you say below (I put in italics) seems only to underscore what I believe: that it will be easier to deal with those differences by just developing apps that run within a browser. Because don't both Android and iOS both run browsers?
Please understand that, compared to most people on this list, I know almost nothing.  So I'm really just trying to understand all of this.
What is SEEMS like to me is that a developer can 1) use LC to deal "with this continuing differentiation of devices and OS ecosystems."  or 2) just develop for running in a browser and then no problem.

Please tell me if I'm over-simplifying that.
Thanks very much,
Larry

Jim wrote:
That may be true with desktop software, but I respectfully disagree when it comes to mobile.

There’s ever-growing fragmentation on Android, sometimes the developer must adapt to handset manufactures' & carriers' idiosyncratic variations of the OS/UI, form factors and unique features.
Then there are Apple's new and tempting backend solutions, like CloudKit, which provide a seamless experience for both users and developers.
But they are clearly iOS only solutions. Leading to developer lock in.

IMO, the LiveCode is very nicely evolving to deal with this continuing differentiation of devices and OS ecosystems.

Jim Lambert