problem with counting words

larry at significantplanet.org larry at significantplanet.org
Sun Oct 12 19:09:42 EDT 2014

Hi Craig,
I've written several functions within stacks, but have no idea how to create a library stack or, seems better, as a plug-in.
For example, one function I use in many of the programs I'm writing is:   commaInsert:

on commaInsert

put round(thisFigure) into thisFigure

if thisFigure < 0 then put thisFigure * -1 into thisFigure

put the length of thisFigure into L

if L > 3 then put "," before char -3 of thisFigure

put the length of thisFigure into L

if L > 7 then put "," before char -7 of thisFigure

put the length of thisFigure into L

if L > 11 then put "," before char -11 of thisFigure

put the length of thisFigure into L

if L > 15 then put "," before char -15 of thisFigure -- THIS WOULD BE AT LEAST 1 TRILLION!!

put "$" before thisFigure

end commaInsert

I use the above function (command) after performing math functions on numbers that I then want to display as dollar amounts with the commas in the right places.
It would be very cool to have it available all the time through a plug-in.  It would be even more cool if I could somehow add it to the LC dictionary and do this:

put commaInsert(thisFigure) into field "myDollarDisplay"
if thisFigure < 1 then set the textcolor of field "myDollarDisplay" to red

Or even:
put commaInsert(thisFigure + otherFigure) into [container]

>From what I've heard from programming friends, other languages allow for adding of functions to the dictionary as in the two line example in italics above.

Do you know if that is possible in LC?  As far as I know, it is not possible.
Larry