problem with counting words

Jerry Jensen jhj at jhj.com
Sun Oct 12 16:26:38 EDT 2014

Not lame. Good question! I've always tried to get RID of curly-quotes, never tried to use them. So, I pasted one in from Word and found out using charToNum that its number 210.

replace quote with numToChar(210) in field "foo"
--do your counting
replace numToChar(210) with quote in field "foo"

Actually, to skip all the confusion, you could just use a character for the replacement that isn't so obscure, like ~ or many others. Then you write:

replace quote with "~" in field "foo"
-- do your counting
replace "~" with quote in field "foo"

I have probably broken a bunch of the new unicode rules that I haven't learned about yet.

.Jerry