AW: AW: Codesigning standalones for Mac OS 10.9.5

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Oct 10 13:16:45 EDT 2014

On 10/10/2014 11:33 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>
> I never got any answer, what a manifest file is. Either nobody here knows
> it, or it is so common knowledge, that it wasn't worth to answer. As far as
> I know, it is a kind of preference file, but I don't know, for what
> preferences and I don't know, why a bundle can live without it, if I remove
> it.
>
> You'll find it when you right click your app and let show the package
> content of your app at: Your.app/Contents/MacOS/Externals/revxxx.bundle/ -
> again right click and let show the package content of the bundle: /Manifest
>
> Remove this Manifest file in all revxxx.bundle in your app.
>
> I got the affirmation from Runrev, that I may delete these Manifest files
> and that they have addressed this issue as a bug, due to Apples changed
> directory guidelines.
>
> Tiemo

Thank you. I also got back from RunRev their explanation of a manifest
file. Unfortunately, that doesn't help in that my Standalone (and
installer built in LiveCode) contain no externals and no manifest files.
We get the "not an identified developer" error under Mavericks 10.9.5
(but not earlier versions) and under 10.8.5 (but not all instances of
10.8.5, so it may be just those with recent software updates) on signed
apps that were signed MONTHs ago and had been downloading and running
fine until this week.

Weirder still, we can sign an app using App Wrapper under 10.8.5, make a
DMG (using DropDMG), and upload the DMG to our web site and then
download the DMG to the same 10.8.5 computer. The app on the downloaded
DMG presents the "not an identified developer" warning when you try to
launch it, but the same app, on the DMG before it was uploaded run
without any warnings.

If this change by Apple is for "security" only applying it to downloaded
apps is not very smart. What if the app came by way of shared file
server, etc.