Getting a list of object properties

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Fri Oct 10 12:48:34 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Jim Hurley <jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> And then there is Richard’s Plugin “4Wprops” which is more complete than
> “the properties”
> For example it lists the Height and Width

Properties that can be derived from other properties are not included in
the array returned by the properties; height and width fall into that
category since they can be calculated from the rectangle.  The rational is
that only properties that are required in order to recreate an object need
to be included.

Unfortunately that means folks who are just curious about all the
properties or who need a complete list for a plugin/application are left
high and dry.  It would be great if something like "the effective
properties" could be implemented, or even a new keyword like "actual".

As it is, folks like Richard and myself are forced to maintain their own
internal lists of properties for plugins like 4WProps and lcStackbrowser
when that list should be maintained by RunRev.

The dictionary is also not always a good reference point for a list of
properties although it is much better than it used to be.  I gave RunRev a
stack that checks properties against the dictionary and flags any with
missing entries so they can run their own checks as part of their release
process.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>