the "price" of a context switch/function call

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 13:54:00 EDT 2014

I'm eternally conflicted between the needed frugality of my eight bit
childhood and the desire for clean code . . .

And I never forget the model I wrote in smalltalk with nice "proper"
 OO message passing (the messages I was modeling, in fact), and then
rewrote line for line in Fortran without optimizing--a 45,000 to one
speedup.

Anyway, today's conflicted question is on function calls, and how much it
"costs" to make a function call in livecode.

If I'm going to call a routine, say, 100 times in a fraction of a second,
do I really save much by inlining it rather than calling it as a function?

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462