Server boot time - font init

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 27 11:20:07 EST 2014

Looking for ways to streamline CGI performance I made this simple script
to measure boot time:

#!livecode-server
put "Howdy!"
quit

...and then ran it with strace to see the system calls it makes:

strace -v -o lctrace.txt  ./test.lc

Looking at the resulting output file I was surprised to find that more
than 3/4 of all system calls during boot of the SERVER engine are
related to FONT management.

I realize that LC Server now also provides graphics handling, so I can
appreciate the need for the lengthy font init.  But for apps where fonts
will never be used, should there be a way to turn that off?  Maybe with
a flag in the command line?

3/4 of boot instructions seems worth trimming if we can.

Should I submit a request for an optional -f flag for LC Server to turn
off font init?

Or would it be more helpful to turn off all graphics initialization with
something like -g?

Also, for Mark Weider or anyone else familiar with Linux enough to help
with this:

I see a lot of lines in the strace output like this:

access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)

What is nohwcap, and why would the engine keep looking for it over and
over after it's already been told it isn't there?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems