Can standalones give users the same Text formatting menu as in IDE?

tbodine bodine at bodinetraininggames.com
Sat Nov 22 13:23:50 EST 2014

Thanks Richard.

Richard Gaskin wrote
> LiveCode has one field object.  It's not possible to use the field
> object of an older version while running a newer version.  Whatever
> field properties and messages are available in a given engine version
> are available to any field run in that version.

Interesting. So, a stack created in a prior version of LC that contains a
field from that version should  automatically update when that stack is used
in a later version of LC, even if the stack is password protected? Guess I
had a more rigid concept of stacks and controls.

Testing this out, though, I get an error from FieldTrip in LC 7.0.1 rc2 when
access a field connected to Fieldtrip. (No description of error since "the
stack is password protected". However, a field that was not in FieldTrip but
was placed in an earlier version of LC does appear to immediately enable
unicode text input in LC7.

Richard Gaskin wrote
> A few versions back (5.5.4 IIRC) the engine team added a means of
> toggling text styles, which make implementing things like a Style menu
> much simpler.  In the past we have to examine the textStyle of the
> selection and hope it was "mixed" in order to know who to update our
> menu and apply or remove the style selected by the user.  But today
> textStyles can be set in a Boolean fashion individually:
>
>    set the textStyle["bold"] of the selectedChunk to \
>      (not the textStyle["bold"] of the selectedChunk
>
> Additionally, in older versions changing the textFont or textSize reset
> both, but now all text attributes are managed separately.

Good to know! My examples were apparently old school. I'll take another run
at it using the info. you have provided and will report back if I run
aground.

I appreciate your help and insights!

--Tom Bodine