LC Server on DreamHost?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Nov 20 20:48:34 EST 2014

Thanks to the patient generosity of our fearless Community Leader Richard
Gaskin, between us we were able to determine the combination of .htaccess
files needed to get LCserver working on DreamHost under Ubuntu (at least
for my situation).  As a few others have noted, the most basic setup is
more or less like what Stephen Barncard and Andre Garcia came up with some
time ago:

Domain [folder]
    .htaccess
    cgi-bin [folder]
         .htaccess
         drivers [folder]
         externals [folder]
         livecode-server

Domain root .htaccess file contents:
AddHandler livecode-script .lc .irev
Action livecode-script /cgi-bin/livecode-server

cgi-bin folder .htaccess file contents:
Options ExecCGI
SetHandler cgi-script

(³livecode_server² can be replaced with ³livecode-community-server²)

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

After I received some conflicting information from DreamHost tech support,
Richard was able to determine that the second htaccess file in the cgi-bin
folder is required to make things work (this is probably what most others
already have in their domains).

I don¹t know what¹s needed if anything for PHP processing, but in my case
some root level directives (mentioned below) that used to work fine under
the old servers break certain pages of my site on the current servers, so
some more experimenting may be needed to get that working.  But at least
LCserver is running again.

Many thanks Richard!

Regards,

Scott Rossi