OT: Any experiences with MS SmartScreen?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu Nov 20 03:41:30 EST 2014

Hi there,

since this year we are codesigning our programs. I thought we could produce
a better installation experience for our clients with less frightening
messages. Now I see that Windows has multiple different shields integrated.
The defender accepts our certificate and shows our company name when
launching our installer, that works. But on Windows 8 there is a second
shield called SmartScreen for downloads from the internet, which is based on
the "reputation" of the publisher. Though our program is signed, Smartscreen
blocks our setup after download as a potential harmful app. The user can
release it, but the way isn't very obvious.  Obviously we don't have a good
reputation at MS. Up to now, I didn't found a chance to get into contact
with MS to "ask for a better reputation" and I don't think that MS is
interested in us.

Any experiences with this issue?

Tiemo