language syntax question

Mike Doub mikedoub at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 13:57:48 EST 2014

i have been struggling with a couple of language issues and I hope some one
can set me straight.

Issue 1).  What is the syntax to get the contents of a field when you have
the long IDE to the field.

Put something ( long ID of field "foo", 2) into x

Function something obj pl
    Get the formattedrect of line pl of obj -- this works fine
    Get word 1 of the text of line pl of obj -- this what I want to do but
the syntax is wrong
End something

Issue 2). Can a reference to a variable be passed thru the message path
with a send command?

Local foo
Put "stuff" into var
doit var

On doit @thevar
Put "ed" after thevar
-- here I want to send the reference to another handler
Send "another" & @thevar   In 1 second-- this is where I want the reference
to be sent and I
 --  know the syntax is wrong
End doit

On another @thevar
If thevar = "stuffed" then answer "it worked"
End another

Regards,

     Mike