R: hair-pulling frustration

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 11 16:34:45 EST 2014

Dr. Hawkins wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
> I agree, which is why it benefits no one more than ourselves to test
> our
> work with pre-release versions.
>

> Two problems, though:
> 1) One can *either* stay with 5.5, *or* use any of the new features.
> Without maintaining two codebases (impossible with livecode's
> monolithic
> file), there is no way to do both.
> 2) These prereleases just aren't ready for what they're called and
> presented as.  I simply cannot believe that anyone who uses the
> debugger
> would have signed off on it.

I'd like to raise these concerns with Ben and Kevin at my next meeting.
It would be very helpful if you could point me to the bug reports that
describe these issues.

Being in touch with them fairly regularly, I can say with confidence
that it's not like they're all sitting at the beach drinking Mai Tais.
Heck, it's Edinburgh - is it even sunny enough to go to the beach? :)

I believe they're every bit as committed as many of the community
members here in seeing LiveCode take what I feel is its rightful place
among the world's great programming languages.  For that to happen they
need to cover a lot of ground, with new features, feature completion,
and QA.

As with any company, it's always a balancing act with resources.  And
like most companies that survive beyond their third year (that seems the
be the threshold at which a majority close up shop) they've done
reasonably well in this narrow field of developer tools, far beyond any
xTalk before them, for so long because of a demonstrated willingness to
learn and grow, just as all of us do with our own business management.

There are many great things on the road ahead, and even in the current
versions.  But it never hurts to check in along the way to make sure the
balance is optimal for all concerns.

I'll be happy to review with them the issues you cited once I can find
them in the report queue.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager