Progress info from wget or curl?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 3 10:18:11 EST 2014

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richard- what is it you're trying to do? I go out of my way to avoid
> the wget status information, that's why I'm sending it off to
> /dev/null. Otherwise it gets mixed in with my returned data.

I've tried a few different combinations of "open process <...> for read"
but without the sort of result I was hoping for.

What I actually *need* I already have working very well:  I need a
faceless LiveCode standalone (-ui) running on my VPS to be able to
monitor processes on other servers, and since libURL doesn't work from
faceless standalones I needed an alternative.

wget works great for my needs on Linux (curl isn't installed by default
with Ubuntu), and since wget isn't installed by default on OS X I've
been playing with curl there for the rare times I might run these
routines on a Mac.

Along the way I've become so enamored of wget and curl that I started
day-dreaming about other uses for them, perhaps even as replacements for
some things I've used libURL for in GUI apps.

Apparently the relatively new Power Shell in Windows finally makes
scripting on that platform less crippled than DOS had held it back for
so long, so the notion of writing a single library that would use these
packages for basic HTTP POST, GET, and maybe a few other things started
to rattle around in my head.

But that's all just nice-to-have stuff, not at all really needed since
(aside from the absence of SFTP) everything else I need to do in GUI
apps can be done well enough with libURL.

It's been interesting, though, learning about wget and curl, very
rewarding for the tasks I originally set out to use them for.

I appreciate the time and attention you, Monte, and Bernard have
contributed to this thread.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems