Palettes and the selectedObject

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Nov 2 18:25:00 EST 2014

Another probably dumb question.

If I am keying in a field in an ordinary stack window and I stop to do something on a palette, I had hoped that the focusedObject would remain in the ordinary stack - however it turns out that the focusedObject is now the visible card of the palette. Does this mean that the previous focusedObject is lost and thus I can't use a palette to do an insertion in the field in the ordinary stack? Looks like it. But programs like Apple's Keyboard Viewer do it, and I suppose there must be stuff like that on Windows. The question is, is there a way to do it in LC?

I know I can tell if a field loses focus (e.g. from a focusOut message), but by then of course the focusedObject will be somewhere else, by definition.

Graham