[OT?] Legitimising a developer as a 'publisher' in Windows 7

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Nov 2 03:52:42 EST 2014

I am not much of a Windows user, but I have a cross-platform app for both Mac and Windows. This works fine on both platforms except that every time (I do mean every time) I start the thing on Windows, I get a warning message from "User Account Control" asking if I want "... the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer". Well of course the answer is 'yes', but how can I make myself known to the Windows machine as a known publisher? Is it some ritual I have to go through with Microsoft (I expect it is)?  I don't want the paying users of this program to have to go through this warning, but I have absolutely no idea how to stop it.

Can anyone point me to an idiot-proof explanation about what I have to do?

TIA

Graham