Quitting with the close box on Mac

Igor de Oliveira Couto igor at semperuna.com
Wed May 28 03:37:36 EDT 2014

On 28 May 2014, at 1:54 pm, Kay C Lan <lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> On my 10.9.3 a slew of Apple and non-Apple apps all remain open after
> I've closed the last window. The one's that do auto-close seem to be
> sensible ones: System Preferences for many versions of OS X has
> auto-closed when the window was closed, now Contacts and Reminders
> does the same - I can live with that. On my Mac the vast majority of
> apps remain open when the last window is closed. […]

It seems that document-based applications stay open, while utilities auto-quit when their window is closed. So System Prefs quits when closed, and both Disk and Network Utility quit when closed.

The problem is, that some apps are not quite 'doc-based', nor ‘utilities’. For instance: Terminal app, or Keychain. The approach that Apple seems to take with these, is to let them behave as doc-based apps, and NOT auto-quit on close.

> […] *Mavericks is the most temperamental OS X I've used. I've had Finder
> windows that will not come to the front, drag and drop that will not
> work, when I start my Mac sometimes the Finder windows that were open
> when I shutdown are there, sometimes only one, and sometimes none -
> and it makes no difference if I check the box about 'Reopen windows
> when logging back in' or not. Plus a few other things that seem to
> suggest that Mavericks has a personality all of it's own.

I have read quite a few negative reports about Mavericks on the web, and it seems that some people really do have many issues with it. I have quite a few systems that I look after, including servers that are remotely located and which I have to maintain via long-distance ssh or vnc sessions. *Knock-on-wook* my experience has been the opposite: Mavericks seems to be the most stable system I’ve had in a *long* time - including the Servers.

Kindest regards to all,

—
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia