Writing to Mum in Glagolitic script

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 21 03:06:19 EDT 2014

On 21/05/14 05:24, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> Could you create any kind of custom text editor

Yes: my PISMO program is just a (much simplified) version of
my Devawriter program using a different writing set.

The main difference lies in the fact that both Cyrillic and Glagolitic
(the writing systems used in
my PISMO program) are written from left-to-right in a straight-forward way.

Devanagari (like many Indian writing systems) is written from
left-to-right, but there is a problem
to do with the positioning of a post-vocalic R, a short I (which is
written before a consonant that
it is sounded after, and the fact that a consonantal cluster aggregates
into a new written form called
a 'conjunct consonant'. So Devawriter contains something in the order of
5,000 rules to make
sure that when end-users tap in individual glyphs (the Devanagari script
is an abugida, not an
alphabet) the 'magic' happens [mind you, programming the thing didn't
feel very magical at
times].

> if you load it's font using revfontload?
>
> Imagine that you want to publish a portable text editor
> and grammar spellchecker for:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirth
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarati
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengwar
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_alphabets
>
> Could you load/unload the fonts without any
> kind of problems in all platforms?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

I have played around with revfontload and had a really bad time: so
stopped trying (about 2 years ago).

In fact I think it would be lovely if it could be possible for Livecode to
EMBED fonts in a standalone (c.f. PDF documents): but whether that would
be possible I just don't know.

Richmond.