IDE oddities (was Re: Error Messages Are Evil)

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Wed May 14 17:57:53 EDT 2014

On May 14, 2014, at 3:31 PM, Alejandro Tejada <capellan2000 at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Actually, new users wants that LiveCode IDE
> looks and behave as their own favorite
> software...
>
> So a Graphic Designer wants that Livecode looks
> and behave like Photoshop, Ilustrator, Flash, etc.
>
> A MS Office needs that LiveCode adopt all the
> conventions of these products...
>
> The 3D artist wants...
> The Musician wants...
> The Database Manager wants...
> The Linux user wants...
> The Mac User wants...
> The Windows user wants....
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI
>
> Al

True, maybe, but surely there are interface problems that can be improved by applying common-sense design principles. The video you linked to before was arguing for the opposite of what special interest groups want. He was, in fact, arguing against his own special interest group (blender developers) in favor of making the user interface more accessible to new users.

I think we could do the same for the LiveCode interface.

Devin

Devin Asay
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University