Dropbox File Path via Shell Or Similar?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 14 15:55:06 EDT 2014

On 5/14/14, 1:59 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
> Right, I'm not looking to upload/download, I'm trying to get a
> Dropbox-formatted file path.

I had to deal with that in AirLaunch and I don't think it's possible
without asking the user at least once. After you do that you can
generate links using the same format, as long as the files are in the
same folder as the one the user supplied.

Dropbox generates a different cryptic string for each folder. The
general format is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/<long random string>/filename.txt

As long as a file is in the same folder, you can use that URL and just
replace the filename at the end with a different one. But since each
folder has its own random string, you can't know what the URL will be
for any other location.

The Dropbox app probably knows, but it isn't telling.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com