Set Language for String Processing?

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at runrev.com
Tue May 6 05:29:26 EDT 2014

On 6 May 2014, at 08:45, Peter W A Wood <peterwawood at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible (and how) to set the language when processing a string to get the correct capitalisation?
>
> I am trying to see how LiveCode handles upper and lower case shifting in situations like this:
>
> English
>
> 	the toLower of "I" -> "i"
>
> Turkish
> 	the toLower of "I" ->  "ı"  #Unicode: U+0131, UTF-8: C4 B1

I did wonder when somebody would ask about Turkish!

The uppercasing and lowercasing behaviour provided by the LiveCode engine is language-neutral (read: wrong for some languages). Internationalisation and localisation are areas that we are aware of but 7.0 does not include any way to change the locale for string processing operations.

Other oddities that people might encounter is that the toupper of "ß" (sharp-S) is itself and not the expected "SS" - some scripts became a little confused when changing the case of a string also changed its length.

Regards,
Fraser