Oauth in Livecode?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon May 5 20:41:07 EDT 2014

Howard,

As far as I can tell this article is a complete FUD.

What it is saying is that someone could use the redirect URL part of the
OAuth 2.0 cycle to redirect you to some place else. This is the same thing
as opening any phishing site. If you open a website, click for example
"Login with Facebook" and click OK for all the permission requests, you're
giving away that information to the site. There is no real limit to what it
can do with that info.

If the "Login with Facebook" (or any other OAuth 2.0 button) has been
tampered or fiddled with by someone with bad intentions so that it
redirects to some evil site and steal if your info this is not a flaw in
OAuth 2.0, this is how the web works. The thing is that people will give
their access to their personal information freely without thinking about
the consequences. Next time some site is asking for access to all your
profile information, plus your friends, plus your contacts, plus
everything, you should think why does this site needs this information?!
People often just click "Allow" without thinking.

This was all solved by Mozilla with Persona Login system that shared no
information besides attesting that someone was really someone.
Unfortunately and probably because it would not allow profile information
to go thru and was minimal and federated, it never saw strong adoption to
the point where its on community maintenance mode. I still use it everyday
to log into Mozilla properties such as our Bugzilla.

Cheers