how to sort lines with a $ amount

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Mar 31 23:02:26 EDT 2014

On 3/31/14, 9:03 PM, larry at significantplanet.org wrote:
> I can sort the lines of the field just fine on word 1 (date),  word 2
> (name) and word 3 (number)
>
> But when I try to sort on word 4, I don't know how to get it to come
> out right because the $ in front makes it a string and not a number.

You can sort using a custom function and that's what I'd do here. If the
values are in field 1, then:

on mouseUp
   sort lines of fld 1 numeric by moneySort(each)
end mouseUp

function moneySort pItem
   if char 1 of pItem = "$" then delete char 1 of pItem
   return pItem
end moneySort

Custom function sorting can do all kinds of clever things. The "each" is
passed to the function and the sort uses the return value to determine
the final order.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com