very, very slow on Mac Mini

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 21:20:13 EDT 2014

On all three have Activity Monitor available and see what the numbers are
for CPU and Memory; not just the raw numbers but also the relative ranking.

Is the Mac Mini only occasionally used, is there a possibility that
Spotlight was in the middle of a massive index - process mdworker - which
was notorious on Lion and Mountain Lion for slowing Time Machine into a
multi-day exercise. Was Time Machine doing it's thing, or any other back-up
software. Again, if this is an occasionally turn on machine is it possible
that all the Auto-Update features are On (they typically are by default)
and it was downloading a bunch of updates and installing them?

I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini with 8 GB Ram and Lion 10.7.5 and my stacks run
the same as my mid 2012 MBP 15" Retina with 16 GB and Mavericks 10.9.2.
 Actually, apparently a bit faster on the Mac Mini until I employed the
Retina display workaround using QuickRes as posted here by Neil Roger.