LiveCode 6.6.1 RC1

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Mar 31 18:40:54 EDT 2014

On Mar 31, 2014, at 2:00 PM, Terence Heaford <t.heaford at btinternet.com>
 wrote:

> Forgive my scepticism. I have just followed your link and noted the following under the Cocoa stretch goal. Despite this we are NOT getting native Cocoa controls.
>
> "Upgrade our Mac OS X platform support to fully use Cocoa. This will ensure seamless support of all the latest Mac OS X features. Create beautiful OS X apps that get all little user interface details spot on."

Point taken. But there are lots of reasons to upgrade to Cocoa, native controls is only one of them. The LiveCode team seem to be focusing on the under-the-hood stuff for now. From the release notes:

• Allow embedding of native 'NSViews' into LiveCode windows (in particular, browser controls).
• Enable submission of LiveCode apps to the Mac AppStore.
• Enable eventual building of 64-bit versions of LiveCode for Mac.

The point of theme support, on the other hand, is pretty narrow--allow developers to create exactly the look and feel they want.

RunRev are still in the early stages of implementing some of these stretch goals. I wouldn't give up pushing for native Cocoa controls.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Learn to code with LiveCode University