Advice of cheap/free online server

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 29 17:03:02 EDT 2014

Nakia Brewer wrote:

 > I want to learn how to use LC server scripts (try and improve my
 > knowledge and progress my learning) but currently don't have access
 > to a web-server.
 >
 > Can some offer some advice for cheap (best free) web server space
 > that I could use to do some testing..

The best server for learning is also the cheapest:  an old PC you've
retired sitting in your garage.

If you have a computer you're not using, just about any x86 made in the
last several years will run Linux/Apache/MySQL/LiveCode Server just fine.

All the software you need is free.

I like Ubuntu Server myself, since the size of the community makes it
very easy to find help for.

With a test server in your own office you have the freedom to explore
without having to worry about disrupting dozens of other users on a
shared host.

You'll have to learn a bit more, but that's the reason you want to do
this anyway, yes?  The things you'll learn will definitely be very
valuable no matter what type of hosting you later use for deployment.

And with your own computer you can have something no hosted server can
provide:  a GUI.

On older machines Lubuntu runs very well.  I use it on my development
server, along with Apache, ownCloud, and other goodies.

I've learned a lot in the process, and it's paid off well with the sites
I host on publicly-accessible servers.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World