HTTPS Proxy and PAC files

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Mar 26 08:29:22 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Nakia Brewer
<Nakia.Brewer at westrac.com.au>wrote:

> I see in the release notes for LC6.6 that HTTPS Through proxy is now
> supported so I thought I would give it a try.
>

> The network I want to test it on runs PAC files for proxy assignment and I
> can't find anywhere in livecode to set the location of the PAC file.

It looks like LiveCode is supposed to handle PAC files. If you look at the
script of the revLibURL button of the revLibrary stack you will find that
httpproxyforURL is now used to resolve the proxy for each url that is
loaded. httpproxyforURL uses a PAC file to determine the proxy for a given
URL. What I don't see in the script is where httpproxyforURL is
initialized. If you pass in a 3rd parameter to httpproxyforURL with the PAC
file contents then all subsequent calls to httpproxyforURL will use the
same PAC file to resolve the proxy server for the given URL. It may be that
the engine itself locates the PAC file and initialization is done in the
engine.

> Is it fair for me to assume it doesn't support PAC files yet?

That depends. How is your computer configured to locate the PAC file? Is
the path to the PAC file hardcoded or does your network use WPAD detection?
On Windows, WPAD detection is done when the connection proxy settings are
set to "Automatically detect settings".

It could be that LiveCode will automatically initialize a PAC file if the
OS is configured with a PAC file URL but that it doesn't support WPAD
detection. If your computer has a hardcoded PAC file and LiveCode isn't
picking it up then I think that would be a bug.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems