LiveCode 6.6 very slow on Retina MacBookPro

Rolf Kocherhans rolf.kocherhans at id.uzh.ch
Tue Mar 25 08:16:39 EDT 2014

Hello all

I noticed that LiveCode 6.6 is very slow on MacBooks with Retina display on
everything I do with it.

My latest project-stack has a size of 500kb with about 10 bg buttons on it and
3 bg fields. When I click onto a button to edit the script in 6.6 on Retina MacBook,
I can count to two until the script editor opens, everything is very, very slow !

At work, with a new iMac (late 2013), this is not the case, the script editor shows up almost
instantly.

I first thought that it might be that one, or all of my plugins could be responsible
for this, but nada. I removed all plugins and I experience the same
slow speed with LC 6.6 .

After I noticed this, I repeated my tests with LiveCode 6.5.2 and I found that
6.5.2 has the same speed on both Mac's.

To be sure that this is real I wanted to ask you to verify this. I created
two apps, one created with 6.5.2 and one with 6.6. They contain only a
background and now other controls.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/616613/Created%20with%20LiveCode%206.5.2.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/616613/Created%20with%20LiveCode%206.6.zip

If you open them side by side and enlarge the window  at the bottom right then
you can see that the behavior on an iMac or any Mac with no Retina display is
very similar.

On a MacBook Pro with Retina Display the window from the 6.6 version „jumps“
and does not enlarge smoothly.

This is just one example to show the slow performance of LC 6.6 on OSX.
For me LC 6.6 does not feel good at all on a MacBook with Retina display.

Others ?

Cheers
Rolf

PS: Both systems where running the latest OSX with all updates.