Request to makers of add-ons

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 10:16:45 EDT 2014

<snip>
.

> This raises a question for an option that may be useful to add to the
> Standalone Builder:
>
> Currently the SB allows us to specify external stacks, and at build
> time it'll copy those into a folder accompanying the app.
>
> On OS X those files are copied into the bundle, but on Windows and
> Linux it puts them into a separate folder alongside the app.
>
> If you're not using externals you wouldn't otherwise need that folder
> - why not - at least optionally - just copy the stacks into the stack
> file that becomes the standalone?

<snip>

The separate folder alongside the app is a large PIB; especially if one
delivers one's finished product in a ZIP
file: I have had several problems with people who have just extracted
the app itself and then junked the
zip file including the folder with the necessary libraries, at which
point their app doesn't work properly.

I am well aware that a Mac OS X "app" is nothing of the sort, but a
folder containing the real app and all sorts
of ancillary stuff (and very clever it is too).

I wonder if there is not a way to "fold" all externals into Windows and
Linux standalones so end-users are presented with
an apparently monolithic files as Mac users are.

Richmond.