6.6 RC2 Release

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:53:44 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Bob Sneidar <bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com>wrote:

> I agree that people should select the pertinent text to be quoted before
> replying. It's just good email etiquette.

It's more than "good etiquette." it's correct, and not doing it is
incorrect.  This is spelled out in the ancient RFC that defines email.

> However, there may be an option to reverse the direction of the quoted
> text to place it at the top instead of the bottom of the post.

Top-quoting is not an "option," it's just plain wrong.

It came about from AOL placing the cursor before the text, an abuse
followed by microsoft and gmail.

I filed bugs 11562493 and 11562437 in the very early days of gmail, for not
instructing users on etiquette and for misplacing the cursor in the
top-posting position.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462