Famous at last, though not in the best way

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Tue Mar 18 09:09:50 EDT 2014

Mike wrote:
> By the way, it appears the hackers were trying to uncover fraud at Mt. Gox,
> so they're actually being considered heroes, which is a little weird...

Heroes? I seriously doubt it.

The only scenario I could imagine for that argument would mean instead
of using the heroism as cover for the bitcoin stealer, they developed
the stealer as part of the heroics and used a public means to distribute
it, hoping to snag the Mt Gox people again instead of anyone else? And
using good old 419er type logic, that only greedy people would get
affected or scammed?

It would take a lot of faith to see it that way instead of as a simple
criminal operation to steal fund accounts. But even giving them the
benefit of all possible doubts, still at best it was designed to snoop
on others besides the target, the target was assumed guilty, and once
the assumption was made these types usually deface www and disclose
stolen data regardless of whether their "investigation" shows any guilt.

That's like saying the NSA would be big heroes if they also did some
defacing and dumping - no thanks. Most hackers are just people overly
full of themselves and imitating the very tactics of the big
corporations and secretive government entities they rant and rave about.
I would have hoped that if we have LC-based hackers, they would be
higher class.

And I don't think we need to try and spin this as some kind of example
that LC has finally come of age. People have been doing truly remarkable
and praiseworthy things with LC for a long time, maybe less sensational
but much more interesting that this.

Besides, I didn't like their coding style. LiveCode shouldn't look like
it wants to be Javascript. So I hope it doesn't end up posted to the LC
tutorial section. :)

Best wishes,

Curry K.