[OT] My son's fried laptop

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 16:58:46 EDT 2014

On 17/03/14 22:39, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I don’t get any google hits on Samsung NP300E5X-S01 motherboard failures. I am curious, do you have a compatible power supply unhand? Might want to try another one of those. I am also nervous about two laptops exactly alike having failed motherboards. As they say in the military, once is a coincidence. Twice is enemy action! I’m thinking bad power and supplies that do not detect power events.

I think it was simply a case of bad luck.

I am not quite sure where you got the idea of two laptops exactly alike.
My son's girlfriend's laptop is a quite different make and model.

My son's laptop fried its motherboard on its original power supply.

As the marketing company is going to repair the thing it is really only
of academic interest.

What is far more interesting to me is why 2 quite different laptops seem
to have overheating problems with Windows 7.

I do not like Windows that much, and did suggest to my son he might
prefer Linux.
He did say that he would prefer Linux [having had a desktop PC running
GNU Musix while he was here in Bulgaria],
and the only reason he HAD to run Windows 7 was that he was required to
use Sibelius at the University [who had a cheapo bulk license for
registered students] which has Mac and Windows versions, and the latter
will not run under WINE.

Open Source drop-in replacements for Sibelius are not anywhere near as good.

Funnily enough Sibelius was first developed as a killer app for the
Archimedes computer; and the fact that Sibelius subsequently put out a
Windows version may have significantly contributed to RISC OS's death
knell as a desktop system.

Richmond.