Crowd Funding Enhancements

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 15:11:24 EDT 2014

On 15/03/14 20:32, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 10:43 AM, J. Landman Gay
> <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:
>
>> Exactly. It seems so natural that even though I've been using xtalk since
>> 1987, I still inadvertently try to use that structure occasionally. I
>> suspect new users will too. But as Richmond says, it's a trivial feature
>> request, and there's a ready workaround, so I've never asked for it in the
>> bug database. But I keep thinking someday I should.
>>

> When we all work around it on a regular basis . . .
>
> Also, I think it would produce cleaner and more understandable code.

That's true.

It will also speed things up insofar as both the compiler doesn't have
to chew through a repeat loop,
and programmer's won't have to spend so much time crafting those repeat
loops.

-----

This doesn't stop me thinking that, perhaps, other things are more
urgent right now.

And, it might not be a bad thing if RunRev complete all their
fund-raiser goals && stretch goals
BEFORE they get distracted by other things.

At the risk of sounding preachy (!!!); when the fund-raiser thing
started, the theory (which turned out to be right) was that folk would
donate money, not just to support an Open Source version of Livecode,
but also because of all the extremely jazzy improvements (a.k.a. goals)
that were dangled, carrot-like, before us.

One or two people on the Use-List and the Forum have made the odd "anti"
remark about their Kickstarter money not being spent on what
they had thought it would be. Mostly not because it wasn't, but because
the RunRev team weren't shoving their pet lust-object to the front
of the queue.

However, if RunRev really do get badly distracted, then there is a very
real risk that there will be further criticisms which may be accurate,
and detract from sales, uptake, and so forth.

-----

The title of this thread is "Crowd Funding Enhancements"; and as the
vast majority of us 'here' on the Use-list are very keen on that sort of
thing,
we should let the RunRev team fulfill their
targets/promises/what-have-yers for the first "Funding Enhancement",
i.e. the Kickstarter thing,
before we start pressurising them and/or chucking more money at them.

> *and* [some of you will want to scream now, so get ready . . .] it could
> allow parallelization . . . (modern Fortran has such structures)

Well, it didn't make me scream; but it did make me go and check exactly
what 'parallelization'
is :)

If we are to start thinking about parallelization we are beginning to
think that Livecode is something more than
a programming environment-cum-language which is used on desktop PCs and
laptops; and is going to develop
in such a way that it will, eventually, sit "up there" beside Fortran,
Pascal and all the other "major players", and,
even, maybe, one day, displace them.

Tell, you, what; that's a wonderful thought.

But: see rant above.

Richmond.