New chunks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 13 13:10:49 EDT 2014

On 3/13/14 9:51 AM, Benjamin Beaumont wrote:
> Dear List Members,
>
> This discussion has been very interesting and there have been a lot of
> suggestions made. Ultimately I do not feel that now is the correct time
> to change the fundamental meaning of any of the syntax of LiveCode. My
> team and I have been very carefully crafting the 7.0 release so that
> existing applications will run and (with virtually no changes in most
> cases) work exactly the same as before except that they will allow
> arbitrary language strings as input rather than ones which are just
> limited to the 'native' character set of the platform (i.e. MacRoman /
> Latin-1). As Richard pointed out in a recent post, this has been a huge
> endeavour and if we were to change fundamental syntax then it would make
> it a lot harder to determine where problems might lie as we stabilize
> the 7.0 engine and get it release-worthy.

Giving credit where due, it was really Joseba Aguayo's post that
prompted me to consider the impact on testing.  Sometimes it's the brief
post that gets to the point quickly that helps us keep our priorities clear.

Now we have a challenge for the community:

The LiveCode team has done their part, postponing a change so we can
expect our existing code to run in v7 as well as it does in v6.

This means that it's up to us to actually do the testing.

If any of you aren't currently using v6.6 RC1, please note that it's a
Release Candidate, so it's critical that you work with it now.

If you put off using it until after release, any bugs found will just be
more expensive to fix, and an embarrassment to the community.

Let's step up our game and give v6.6 a thorough workout today.

When it's released, we'll have established a solid baseline for
evaluating v7.

Given v7's scope of changes, we'll really need that solid baseline for
the thorough testing I hope you'll all give it.

In the past I've been lax myself about testing some RCs, but after
seeing bugs post-release that I could have found earlier, I've learned.

So let's please do our part to ensure that the current Release Candidate
fully meets our needs.  If we test thoroughly enough it may even be the
most solid release ever, which benefits everyone.

6.6 RC1 is available at the top of this page:
<http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World