v7 testing and "word"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 13 12:57:45 EDT 2014

Robert Brenstein wrote:

 > I wonder whether we really need a new keyword for old style word. I
 > mean that an alternative could be to have a global property that
 > controls whether word means the ascii word or the unicode word.

While Unicode support is part of it, there's more to it than that.

The new ICU library is much smarter than the rather strange definition
of "word" the HyperTalk team cooked up, which in some cases isn't a word
at all.

Consider this plain-text example:

   one, two, three.

current form: word 2 = "two,"
new form:     word 2 = "two"

And:

   He said, "Hello there, big beautiful world!"

current form: the number of words = 3
new form:     the number of words = 7

There's utility in both forms, and AFAIK both forms are planned for support.

The key question is whether we want to seriously compromise the scope
and quality of v7 testing by changing the behavior of "word" right now.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World