New chunks

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 13:02:16 EDT 2014

On 12/03/14 18:07, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 3/12/14, 5:12 AM, Fraser Gordon wrote:
>> The library that we use for low-level Unicode stuff
>
> Just curious, do you know how much this will inflate the file size of
> a standalone? (Not that it matters really.) I'm thinking about the
> dictionary size(s) as well as the library itself.

This is going to be the price of having an IDE that is capable of
singing, dancing and brewing coffee at 5 in the morning: standalone bloat.

I wonder if all the jazzy new additions could not be hived off, so that
everything is modularised, so one could run down a checklist of capabilities
one's standalone uses before build-time? The one could "trim the fat" to
whatever one's standalone required, rather than carting around
a lot of excess baggage.

For instance; I might be making something that only deals with ASCII
script, so I would uncheck all the modules to do with Unicode capabilities
and they would not be built into my standalone.

There are already one or two choices about inclusions to be made in the
standalone builder, so this would not be setting a precedent.

Just a thought.

Richmond.