Word clouds in LC

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Mar 9 18:10:24 EDT 2014

On 10/03/2014, at 08:25 AM, Richmond wrote:

> On 09/03/14 23:13, Terry Judd wrote:
>> Has anyone done a word cloud implementation in LC that they'd be willing to share? I got as far as creating a field in which the words were randomized and sized according to their frequency but I was looking for something that packed/arranged individual words (single orientation) and that looks quite tricky.
>>
>> Terry...
>>
>> Dr Terry Judd
>> Senior Lecturer in Medical Education
>> Medical Education Unit
>> Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
>> The University of Melbourne
>>

> Why do I think that would be quite a difficult thing to do?
>
> Lots of different size snippets of text, differently coloured,
> and at differing angles.

Sizing and colouring is straightforward and I only need normally oriented text so I can use fields rather than images. It's the placement and arrangement of the words so that they pack together nicely that looks difficult. Apparently the trick is to check for intersects while locating them on a spiral so that should be doable in LC.

> Do you mean a stack to make a word cloud from the text drawn from a website
> like this: https://www.jasondavies.com/wordcloud/#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2F
>
> or a stack to generate a word cloud from text imported or entered into a text field?
>
> Certainly, I should have thought the latter would be considerably easier.

I already have the routines for creating the word lists and sizing the words so it's just about translating those into some output.

> Very attractive as they are, I cannot quite see the point of them.

They tend to be overused but they have their value. I'm looking to use them as part of the feedback we provide to medical students following progress testing. Each test item is tagged according to what core presentations it represents (e.g. cardiac failure) and a word cloud will be used to illustrate the frequency of CPs associated with correct and incorrectly responses. These will eventually be linked to related learning resources so students can easily identify and revise their problem areas.

Terry...