Image control in a Background

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Jun 24 20:59:25 EDT 2014

Vaughn:

I can't tell if you understand the basics of groups/backgrounds, so
apologies if this is redundant for you.

First, try to forget anything Hypercard related and start over.  In fact,
it will probably help you ignore the term "background" and consider groups
only (the terms "group" and "background" are synonymous in most cases).

A group, regardless of what you might associate with the name, can consist
of a single object.  You can group an image for example, and that single
image is now contained within a group object.

The group can exist on one card, or can be placed on multiple cards.  If
the group appears on multiple cards, that same image will appear on all
cards that contain the group.  This implementation is where you can start
using a group as a background object for multiple cards.

LiveCode doesn't have any designated object that automatically sits behind
everything on every card in a stack.  The above mentioned group is how you
create this result.  You create a group, and you *place* that group (as
opposed to paste) on every card where you want the same image to appear.
This is how you display a single image (or any objects) efficiently across
multiple cards.

If you want a different image to appear on every card in your stack, the
most straightforward method is to import or paste an image on every card.
There's no need to use a group.

But using a group can display the images more efficiently, depending on
how you're able to deliver your stack.  If you can include an external
folder of images (JPEGs, for example) along with your stack, you can use
the grouped image option mentioned above and simply change the fileName of
the grouped image to the file path of the external image that is needed
upon opening a card.

The benefit of this method is that only one image is loaded in memory at
any given time, instead of loading all the needed images at once (if they
were all imported into the stack).  The one image still appears on all
cards, but the user only sees one card at a time, and the image is updated
each time the user navigates to a new card.

Last, keep in mind that with groups, "place" is different than "paste".
If you place a group on a card, you are creating an instance of a group
that already exists in the stack.  If you copy and paste a group, you are
creating an entirely new group object with its own id, and you now have
two separate groups in your stack, each with their own contained objects.

Once you get the hang of this, you'll understand that groups are really
useful objects.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott Rossi