Diagnosing server error 400

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jun 17 13:15:59 EDT 2014

On 6/17/2014, 12:25 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Jacque-
>
> Monday, June 16, 2014, 8:56:40 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Maybe a better question to everyone would be: can a server 400 error be
>> related to a bad SSL certificate chain?
>
> I'd expect something more like a 401 for a security problem. The
> official definition of a 400 response is "malformed syntax".

Yes, but that doesn't make sense because the app is sending identical
data from every test computer, and only two (so far) have failed. So I'm
grasping at straws. I did some googling before I asked on the list, and
it seems that proxy servers can interfere (but the testers aren't using
a proxy) or sometimes intermediary servers between the app and AWS. So
that led me down the path of the security chain, since as far as I can
see, that would be the only thing that's different -- provided the
security chain is dynamic. If it isn't, then something else is wrong.

Also, there's the thing where my client was getting a 400 error all one
morning, and by afternoon it had resolved itself on the same computer
and the same network. That makes me think that something is dynamic in
the path to AWS.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com