Put a stack into a variable?

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:40:39 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Mark Schonewille <
m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:

> If you want to add a new form to an existing application, you can save the
> card with the form on your server and download and save it locally when the
> app starts. No database involved.

There is a local database for preferences, data, and so forth.  Also, it is
intrinsically networked.  The installation at my office, for example, has
the postgres server on my desk, which serves to itself, my paralegal, my
laptop over vpn, a remote assistant via vpn, etc.  When this is complete,
it and every other central machine would also periodically update with the
upstream root machine for updates (whether forms, dictionary of creditor
additions, finding out if there's a new version, license keys, etc.).

Anyway, for however many machines there are at a law office, they all need
to have access to the same cards, and tho.se cards are going to come from
an upstream postgreSQL server.  Keeping them on the corporate db server
(where they may well cache down to the local machines) seems the natural
solution; otherwise I'm dealing with files syncing to the dbs.

> If your app needs to get new form data from the server, that's even
> easier. Just download the data and save them in the local database.
>
> It is important to treat interface and data separately.

In this space, though, interface *is* data to some extent.  There are
something like 216 judicial districts in the US, and some attorneys
regularly filing in up to a half dozen or so--and all issueing new forms at
unpredictable intervals

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462