Open Source IDE and You

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 8 20:43:52 EDT 2014

Mike Kerner wrote:

> what's the difference between this forum and the "Extending" group?

The description for "Extending LiveCode" reads:

     Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment?
     This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending
     our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party
     Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions
     forum.

The IDE Çontributors section did not previously have a description
(thanks for bringing that to my attention), but it now reads:

     This forum is a working group for community contributors to
     the LiveCode IDE included in the main LiveCode distribution.

> I would also like to have a "class" on hacking the IDE, so when we are
> breaking things to look cool, we aren't doing something that will make our
> work harder to accept.

That would be cool.

For starters, if you set the global variable gRevDevelopment to true
you'll have the same environment the core dev team at RunRev works in,
with easier access to some objects and scripts.

In this week's community meeting with Kevin I'll ask about any internal
docs they may have which might be useful for community contributors.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager
  richard at livecode.org